DH decided to purchase tickets to see a show called "Nuclear Cowboyz", it's basically a stunt show with dirt bikes and quad's. It looked fairly entertaining, the venue was close to home and the tickets were reasonably priced so I figured why not? Besides I got to cut out from work early so I would have time to get home, get changed and be ready to leave early enough that we could grab some dinner on the way to the show.
We actually made it out of the house fairly early so after catching dinner with my step-dad at his restaurant (which was conveniently located right down the street from the show arena), we ended up stopping at a furniture store. For some reason DH had it in his head that he wanted new couches, I didn't really think he was serious but I also wasn't about to argue so I agreed to go in and see what they had. We looked around for a short while until we had to leave for the show, but didn't really find much.
The arena was right across the street so we eventually made our way over there. The whole place is actually fairly small compared to other venue's that I've been to, but I preferred this one because parking was really easy and so was navigating to the concession stand and our seats. We were in the top "cheap-seats" section but even those weren't bad. I'll bet there really isn't a bad seat in the house. The show was pretty action packed, it had lots of loud music, pyrotechnics, and some pretty cool stunts from the riders on the dirt bikes.
Saturday:
DH and I had to go see our friend's dad in the hospital. He had recently been diagnosed with liver cancer, and earlier this week he had surgery to remove the affected piece of his liver. We spent a good part of the morning visiting and hanging out with the rest of the family.
After the hospital DH got that "new couch bug" again so we stopped at another furniture store, they were supposed to be having some big sale. We found this:
I seriously thought he was kidding about new couches but somehow we ended up getting a whole new living room! DH actually found this great deal on the whole set, it comes with the reclining sofa & love seat, two end tables, two lamps, a coffee table, the rug, the accessories that are on the coffee table and a 5 year warranty for everything but the lamps, all for about $1300. DH did pitch a minor fit when the sales guy said the ones we liked were back ordered for a couple of weeks (apparently a lot of other people thought it was an awesome sale too). But I don't mind waiting, it gives me time to shampoo my carpets and arrange for my existing furniture to get a new home. Robert was more than happy to agree to take it off of our hands when I offered it to him.
DH told me that the new couches were my anniversary present. I still maintain that it was all his idea to get new couches but I'm certainly not going to complain. He's the one who does the bills and has to figure out how to pay for it anyway.
Actually, what started this whole thing was my desire to start cleaning and rearranging some stuff in the house, since we found out that we are staying for a while. I told him that I wanted to move the TV from the corner unit entertainment center to the wall above the fire place, thus eliminating a large piece of furniture from the living room. That's when he chimed in about new couches, then after we purchased new couches he also decided our 36" flat screen would now be too small. (must be some kind of man-logic).
I figured 'what the hell' and agreed to go look at tv's. We spent another two hours looking at the stupid wall of tv's at the store. DH finally settled on tv but then threw a temper tantrum when the store said that it was also back ordered (apparently it was also a great deal), we had two options a) drive to the warehouse about 30 miles away to pick it up or b) get free home delivery in 4 days. I didn't see what the big friggin deal was about waiting a few extra days and was about ready to walk out of the damn store, embarrassed at how ridiculous DH was acting. But then he decided that he had better get over it if he wanted the dang tv and agreed to pick it up from the warehouse on Sunday. We ended up with a monstrous 50" plasma flat screen tv and a wall mounting bracket for about $700. Its a good thing my best buy card had no balance and was offering a no interest for two years deal. And since we put it on my account technically I can now say that since he "got me the couches" for our anniversary, I got him the tv. ;-)
Sunday:
I got up bright and early to go with Step-dad to the Santa Anita race track. As an early fathers day present for him I got us tickets to a wine/food tasting & car show event that they were hosting. At first I was afraid the weather would not cooperate and that we were going to get rained out but it ended up being a beautiful day, only slightly cloudy and cool. There must have been over 200 cars ranging from brand new Corvette's to 1930's roadsters and about 30 different vendors with wine and food samples to enjoy. We really had a great time. I wasn't betting much on the racing, only $2 per race, picking one horse to win. But at the end of the day when one of my long shots came in, I made it all back and went home with the same $40 that I started with, not bad for a days' worth of food, drinking and fun!
On the way home step-dad dropped me off at the awards banquet for my dog club. I didn't win any titles on the girls this year so I was not eligible for any awards, but I did have to be there to be officially named the newsletter person, even though I had already put out my first issue this month. Everyone seemed to have had a nice time and I even won a few new squeaky toys for the girls in the raffle drawing.
By Sunday evening I was beat! It was an exhausting weekend! It was a good thing I had already planned to take a vacation day from work yesterday. It took me all day to recuperate from all of the fun and excitement!
Now I'm just playing the waiting game until my new furniture arrives. I think I've re-arranged my living room in my mind at least 100 times, trying to decide how to put the new stuff.
1 comment:
Wow! Happy Anniversary you guys! Congrats on the great deals! My DH has also been shopping around for TVs of late, and has decided he wants to get furniture (finally) with our tax refund, instead of paying something off like he had planned. I keep telling him not to buy furniture if he is still intent on moving again, but... whatever. He thinks we can finally get a new mattress, and even bedroom furniture and STILL get a couch. I won't know what to do after living for two years without furniture. Sheesh!
I'm glad you had such a successful weekend/great time! I still can't get over 4-wheelers being called "quads", though. Can you tell I grew up in the 80s? 3-wheeler this, 4-wheeler that... heck, I finally got adjusted to calling them ATVs, and now this!
Post a Comment