Monday, August 22, 2011

It never rains, but when it pours.

It all started with a text message from my brother last Thursday. It read "f-ya I got the job". He has been doing some serous job hunting since graduating from college last month and had finally landed an entry level position very close to his house. I was so excited for him I called to say congrats. When he answered the phone with a very lackluster sounding "hello" I knew something was very wrong. I asked him why he wasn't jumping for joy at the moment due to his job news. His reply was that his fiance had left him. It's a long story but the jest of it is that, apparently they had a huge fight the night before because she stayed out all night with a friend and got mad at him for calling to check up on her when he got worried that she wasn't home at 3am. Personally my gut says she was just picking a fight, looking for an excuse to leave. Anyway my poor brother is not taking this very well. He is very depressed so I convinced him to grab his Chihuahua and come to my house for the weekend.

My goal was to keep him busy so he wouldn't sit and dwell on the situation.Saturday morning he and DH went to the gym for a few hours. Then MIL, BIL and DH's niece came over to my house for lunch and DH bbq'd some burgers. Brother did ok he was out conversing with everyone for most of the afternoon. After lunch he and I went with our grama to Kohls to take advantage of his employee discount one final time (since he turned in his two week notice :( ). Then we made steak for dinner (his favorite).

Sunday I convinced brother to get up and go with me to church. Meanwhile DH stayed home to attempt to resolve some plumbing issues that arose. One of our stupid drains seemed to be plugged. I think he went to Lowes and cleaned out their entire stock of Liquid Plumber to pour down all of our drains. He spent most of the day doing this. I think he finally got some movement but I have a feeling that sooner than later we may have to call in a plumber. Its times like these wish my uncle - the plumber - hadnt moved to Tennessee.

Sunday afternoon I gave Brother a big hug and told him that he would get through this no matter what happened. Wished him luck on his first day of work and headed to the vet with Sadie - she's having issues with her a/g again. DH and I spent an hour and $120 at the vet with her before rushing home in time to make our dinner "date" with my grama. At least we had a nice dinner, we went to dinner at all you can eat pasta at Olive Garden (my favorite). Then went home to watch a red box movie that we rented. It was the new version of Aurthur. I really dont like the guy that played the main character, he's quite annoying. At least the movie was somewhat funny; not one I'd watch again but it was worth the $1.00 we spent to rent it.

This week I am supposed to go with my other brother (one that used to live with us) to an Allan Jackson concert. Brother and his Fiance were supposed to go too so now I have two extra tickets that may go to waste. I have no idea who I can get to go with me, but I need to find someone who can help me wrangle my alcoholic brother. I'm actually not really looking forward to going anymore. :(

1 comment:

Jen said...

Man, what a weekend! You guys really had your hands full! I'm sorry about all the rotten news!