Thursday, April 22, 2010

Words of Wisdom...Straight from the Judges Mouth!

Recently I joined an online Rally message group. So far I have found some really great information on there, everything from tips on things to take to the best advice I've ever heard, for overcoming ring nerves.

When I made a comment about being nervous and "looking like a novice" in the ring, a lady who actually is a Rally judge said this:

"Looking like a novice--OK, been there done that working for RAE legs and more. There are much worse things that could happen, so breathe and enjoy the ride. YOU know how you have trained and worked and while the judge gives you the score, their opinion really doesn't matter in the life of you and your dog (do not tell AKC I said this LOL) -- that is something between the two of you.

I judge teams and have no clue how hard they work -- or if they are having a good day or a bad day -- but I do like to see a smile on the handlers face -- and often I'm reminded of something MY lovely heart and soul dog has done in the ring and made me look MUCH WORSE than they are -- Your dog --you get to go home with the best dog in the trial at the end of the day no matter what the score.

Gee, no one who thinks you look like a novice is going to cuddle up, give you a kiss and wag their tail so hard it might fall off -- now you know who really counts in your life. "



I think this made so much sense, I printed it off and am going to carry it in my pocket so that when I start to get nervous I can remember some of the wisest words I think I've ever heard!

No comments: