Monday, August 16, 2010

A step in the right direction...

A co-worker had brought me a copy of the recent Parade magazine, which featured an article on the vick Dogs. It's been sitting on my desk for most of the day.

Just now my boss, who has always fallen for all of the negative "vicious pit bull" media hype, made a comment about "I wouldn't trust one of those with any kids" of course she also mentioned that she didn't bother to read the article. This at least enabled me to open a dialogue with her about some of the vick dogs who were mentioned in the article, Johnny Justice who is part of a program that targets kids with reading problems and allows them to read with the dogs, as well as Hector and the others that are now certified therapy dogs.

I gave her a bit of my knowledge about the breed, and what it means being a responsible owner of one of these misunderstood but wonderful dogs.

I don't know if I got through to her or not but I am determined that I will keep trying at every chance I get. I may "forget" that thing on my desk for a few days, maybe it will give me more chances for conversation to spread some positive info about them.

2 comments:

Jen said...

At least you tried. It must be difficult to work for her and take her seriously, knowing how she feels about this. I'd be tempted to just tune her out, which means I'd also be tuning her out as a boss or in any kind of leadership role.

Kudos to the coworker who brought you the article! That was thoughtful and they know you well enough to have been thinking of you and to have given you something they knew you'd appreciate!

Crystal said...

She's not so bad. She's just very opinionated, and on this point I definately don't agree with her opinion. But that's why I'm so determined to change it!

Yeah it was nice that the other person thought of me for it. Two people did actually, I have one at home from a neighbor as well. :)