Monday, October 3, 2011

One bad week...

Monday morning the hot water heater decided to die so the week started off with cold showers and much debate on whether or not to replace or attempt to repair the water heater. Then on my lunch break I arrived home to find my ENTIRE house flooded from a ruptured toilet supply line in my front bathroom. Had to call an emergency restoration company to come and clean up the mess. They informed us that we would have to temporarily move out while the mess was cleaned and the damage repaired. It would take at least 3-4 weeks.

Tuesday I spent the day attempting to organize our things at my grama's house, as she graciously allowed us to stay with her while the house thing is taken care of. I went home that evening to check on my fish tank, due to all of the drying equipment I was afraid of the increasing water temperatures. I had lost one fish. I didn't have it in me to go to class and find out I failed my exam the week before, I decided to put it off until the following week.

Wednesday and Thursday I attempted to establish some sort of a routine with our new living arrangements. Get up have 15 minutes for coffee and quiet time, gather the dogs take them out to potty, round them up in gramas back yard for breakfast, wrangle them down to my back yard, back to gramas to dress for work...Meanwhile DH is being a total pain in the ass about the whole situation, pouting like a five year old - "I want to go home, I want my house back, this sucks". As if that makes it better! I also discovered that I had lost two more fish, one per day. I know they are just fish and are easily replaced but still, it didn't help the situation any.

Friday I met with the insurance adjuster. It seemed to go ok but I was (and still am) stressed as to whether or not they are going to approve the claim. Only because of all the horror stories I have heard about home owners insurance companies doing everything they can to avoid paying claims, and knowing if they don't I wont be keeping my house since I can not afford a $2000 mortgage payment as well as a $20,000 repair bill. As it is we are already on the hook for at least $10,000 - for the emergency clean up and packing/storage of the contents of the house - regardless if the claim is approved or not.

Saturday DH went to work with a friend trying to make some extra $ to replace the water heater that still needs to be taken care of. This is fine, but it meant that he was not around once again to help wrangle the dogs through their potty/breakfast/migration to the house routine. By this time I realised I was two days "late", wasn't sure if it was just stress or... I got scared and went out and purchased a test, but before I got home with it I found out that it must have just been stress that set things a little behind schedule. Thank goodness, the other alternative would be WAY too much to deal with right now.

Sunday DH again went to work leaving me to deal with the dogs. I went to church with my brother and then went home. Had to clean some stuff up in my kitchen that had been sitting all week, a few dirty dishes, emptied the fridge etc...Meanwhile, all day I had this little nagging feeling that something was wrong, or that something bad was coming. I hate it when this happens because 98% of the time those little feelings are right. I had one the night hubby had his accident, the night he got into a fight down the street, and the day before Stimpy started his seizures - to name a few incidences. After DH came home from work we went to our house to check on the dogs and bring them down for dinner/bed time. It was then I figured out what the bad feeling was for. Sadie and Brutus started out playing but when the little meat head got himself stuck on top of Sadie, she did NOT like it one bit and lashed out at him; he lashed back and before I knew it I had pulled them apart from each other and looked down at my left hand to see a gaping hole. Great. The week from hell would end with my first dog bite.

And of course I am between health insurance at the moment due to a change over in my employer sponsored health plan...It could be another week before I am in the new system. I am sure that, at minimum I need a tetanus shot and possibly even some antibiotics.

So that is week 1. Week 2 starts today. I PRAY that it goes better and that things are going to start improving from here on out. I am not sure when we will hear back from the home owners insurance company. I plan to call tomorrow morning if I don't hear by then. I need to know if I will be making my house payment this month or not...

1 comment:

Jen said...

*groan*. I didn't know about half of that! What a week! Thank goodness "it" was just stress!

I'm sorry to hear about the fish! :(