Monday, February 7, 2011

Manual Labor

Day 26: Your week, in great detail



Since I really dont remember - in great detail- much about what happened during the past week, it was pretty uneventful, I'll just give you my weekend in great detail:


Saturday morning, I woke up around 7am, DH took the girls out and gave them their breakfast so I spent about an hour lounging in bed watching a few of my DVR recorded shows. Around 8am I got up and walked down the street to my gramas house. I had promised to clean her house for her and had to get down there for my "to do list" before she left for the day. I talked with her for about a half hour before she left to go visit her cousin for the weekend and then got busy cleaning. I did the usual stuff, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, mop kitchen floor, etc... I finished up around 9:40am and went home to clean my own house.



I spent about an hour and a half doing my own cleaning, bathrooms, vacuuming, dusting, mopping kitchen floor etc... After that was finished I put on some of my grubby clothes to go work in the back yard. For weeks I've been watching Sadie bounce at the back wall barking at the dog pack that lives back there, I have been worried that one of these days she would bounce herself right over the wall, so I decided that since I cant afford to do much else right now, the best remedy would be to dig the dirt down a bit at the base of the wall making the distance between the base of the wall and the top of the wall greater. I got my work gloves on and brought out the shovel and got to work. I dug a trench that was approximately one foot deep, about two or three feet wide and I'd guess the wall is about 20 feet long. My poor arms and back were killing me by the time I was done! Around 2pm I took a hot shower and got cleaned up. We were supposed to be having dinner at a neighbors house at 5pm, to celebrate his birthday. I finished my shower was dressed by 3pm so I decided that it was a good time to give myself a manicure and pedicure since I'd been neglecting my nails for the past few weeks. Once that was done I still had about an hour to kill so I read my book for a while.

Five o'clock came soon enough, DH and I went across the street to the neighbors house. We ate tacos, burritos and I stupidly drank two large glasses of iced tea while we visited until about 7pm. By this time I was REALLY sore and exhausted so I went home to collapse on my couch until it was time to feed the girls and go to bed. They ate at their normal dinner time - 8pm, went out to go potty and then we headed for bed. This is when I realised how much of a dumb ass idea the iced tea was, because no matter how tired I felt I could not go to sleep. I tossed and turned, turned the tv off , turned it back on again; all while listening to DH and the girls snoring the night away. Finally sometime around 3am sleep finally came.

Next thing I know it was 6am and DH was up and in the shower and the girls were anxiously pawing the bed for me to get up and let them have their morning potty break and breakfast, after all they had been asleep since about 8:30 the night before. It was slow going to get moving, my arms and back were screaming in protest each time I had to move. By the time I got the girls situated I decided that it was probably best to just get up; I didn't want to sleep too late and then be on a bad cycle of staying up late and being tired the next morning for work. I made some coffee and then curled up on the couch to finish my book. Just as I was on the last two pages DH asked if I could help him in the yard again - he wanted to take all the excess dirt that I had dug up the day before and use it to fill in the trenches that Bella had worked so hard to create throughout the back yard.

Grudgingly I popped an ibuprofen and once again put on my grubby clothes, work gloves, grabbed the shovel and got to work. An hour and a half and 6 wheelbarrow's full of dirt later we we had all of the holes filled and the yard was looking pretty nice. DH then decided that we needed to also scrape and re-paint the eves on the front of our house. I'll admit they did look terrible, since the recent deluge of rain the paint was all bubbled out and peeling and it had been about 3 or 4 years since we painted them last, but I really didn't know how much further I could push myself I was aching all over. Somehow I managed to grit my teeth and forced my arms to keep moving for another hour and a half, scraping and painting. Finally by about 1pm the house was done and so were my arms. My muscles were so fatigued that I couldn't hardly even lift a water bottle to my mouth to take a drink.

We still had to go to the store for dog food and a few other things. After a long hot shower I got dressed and we headed out. We stopped to grab a quick bite to eat and then braved the pre-Superbowl madness at the store; I would have thought that by 2:30pm the rush would have died down more since the game started at 3pm. Anyway we managed to make it out alive and got back home around 3:30pm. I parked my butt on the couch with my heating pad on my back and that's pretty much where I stayed until bed time at 8:30pm last night.

It was an exhausting weekend!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow! You did work hard!

I'm proud of you!