Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oooops!!!

Since I took over the house that I grew up in from my dad 5 years ago the Electric bill has been in his name. When I first moved in I checked to see how to change it over and at the time because I had never had an account with them they wanted to charge me $150 deposit. I figured that was ridiculous and told my dad that I was just going to leave the account as is and just pay the bill. He added me as an "authorized person" to his account so I could handle any issues that may come up. And that's how it stayed for 5 years.
Last November I figured that it was probably time to get the stinking bill out of his name and asked again about putting it in mine. This time they said that their new system is to run your credit, if you have good credit then you wont have to pay a deposit. They checked mine and as I expected no deposit was required.
I just got a notice in the mail today informing me that my bill was PAST DUE! I know we paid it a week and a half ago!!! I asked hubby about it on the phone and he said that he had paid it. Then it hit me! SHIT! I forgot to update the stupid account number to the new one on my bill payment system. OOPS!
Luckily the lady at the utility company was very nice and when I explained what happened she was able to look up the old account number and sure enough there was a credit for the amount that I had paid. She was able to transfer it over to the new account number and all is well.
Just made sure that the account number was now updated on my stupid bill pay. Don't want to have a repeat of this.

No comments: